HISTORY OF CARLSBAD
The history of Carlsbad began way back, and it has a lot to do with the with the Luiseño people. This is a name of Spanish origin which was given to these aboriginals, given their close proximity to Mission San Luis Rey. During the initial European land exploration of Alta California, there was an expedition for the Spanish Portolà in 1769 which met the native villagers camping on Buena Vista Creek. A couple of years later welcomed the Mexican era. This saw the southern part of Carlsbad being granted to Juan María Marrónas as Rancho Agua Hedionda in 1842.
In the early 1880s, John Frazier, a former sailor dug the first well in the area. He started giving his water at the local train station and within no time the whistle-stop became widely-known as Frazier's Station. A test was conducted on another fresh-water well and the results showed that the water had some chemically similar properties with some of the most precious and renowned spas in the globe. This led to the town being named after Karlsbad, present day Karlovy Vary, in the Czech Republic.
As if taking full advantage of the major discovery, the Carlsbad Land & Mineral Water Company was founded by Samuel Church Smith, Henry Nelson and Gerhard Schutte (a German-born trader who hailed from the Midwest). The town’s naming followed shortly afterwards, alongside a major marketing campaign/ strategy to attract visitors.
The region went through a period of tremendous growth, with residents and commercial hubs sprawling all over into the 1880s. Agricultural advancement saw production of avocados, citrus fruits, as well as olives, and this further changed the whole landscape here. In 1887, as land prices were drastically going down throughout San Diego, Carlsbad stood strong given its fertile agricultural land. In a bid to avoid annexation by Oceanside, Carlsbad was incorporated as a city in 1952.
In 1959, The single-runway Palomar Airport opened when the County of San Diego officials decided to replace the Del Mar Airport. This airport was later annexed to the City of Carlsbad in 1978 and renamed McClellan-Palomar Airport in 1982 after a local civic leader, Gerald McClellan. Carlsbad Skatepark, the first contemporary skateboard park, was built in March 1976. Social amenities continued to sprout in the region, making it all the more urban and habitable. Today, Carlsbad, CA is a well-established community that continues to thrive and appeal to most as a perfect residential area.